Thursday, October 2, 2014

October 2, 2014 - Poll Worker Probs and Giving Up Rights

Hello again! I'm currently sitting here in the Lillington-Something-Center because I was planning on working as a poll worker for this election. Gillian did it last year and I thought it would be pretty fun (not to mention you get paid!) so here I am. Well, the meeting thing lasts three hours and after the first hour, they gave us handouts to sign an oath. I have a philosophy that I plan to read everything I sign my name to. I honestly don't know why more people don't share this with me. It seems like a really great idea to actually READ what you're legally signing your name to. Common sense. So anyway, I read this oath and by signing and agreeing to it I would have to revoke all rights of free speech with regards of my support of a candidate. This extends beyond the polling place and work site (something that they did not care to mention until I specifically asked) meaning that I would be unallowed to say ANYTHING about a candidate until after the election. Now, anyone who knows me knows that I am very politically active, and I am 100% cool with not pressuring anyone to vote for a candidate at the polling place, but it is REALLY messed up to try to persuade me not to say anything to anyone ever about it.

The sad thing is that I can guarantee that half, if not more, of the people who signed it have no idea what they actually just agreed to. And for those who DO understand, it makes me sad that people can be persuaded to give up their freedom of speech for $165. The fact that the government would even ask that of citizens should be alarming and I will absolutely be bringing this up to my representatives. This is shameful.

Needless to say, I did NOT sign and am now sitting here for another two hours while I wait for Gillian to finish. She said I could leave if I wanted, but I'm going to stay because I don't feel like driving back and forth, and also because I'm curious as to what other crazy demands they may have for workers. 

Anyway, my message to you, reader-of-my-blog, is to READ things before you SIGN them. Also, I encourage you to NOT give up your Constitutional rights. EVER. These rights were defined by our founding fathers for our protection and for the protection of liberty. 

I'm not pissed about staying here as well because I have C to work on, as well as this blog post to write. 

I've never posted a picture on a blog before so let me know if this is not readable, but here's the oath. There are a few other sketchy things on it, but the underlined part is the part I was referencing. 
Enough politics. Uhhh. I increased my workout weight to curling 100lbs, which I am super excited and proud about! Well, today I did 2 sets with 90 lbs and 1 with 100lbs. Tomorrow is the opposite and then from then out it'll be 100lbs. I've found that the gradual increase like that over a few days is really helpful to not over-stress muscles and to help accustom yourself to it. 

Oh, and since I'm working out, I've been eating more protein and this morning the eggs I made were cooked TO PERFECTION!!! They were delicious and I had peanut butter toast with REAL peanut butter, not crappy Jiff with additives and gross stuff. My peanut butter only has ONE ingredient. PEANUTS.

I'm pretty much out of things to say for right now so I guess that's it. 

Damn. I was supposed to think of a sign-off. Oh well, I guess I'll do it tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment